• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Zetor Major Transmission/Axles questions

Oh good! DSGs are gaining popularity in the automotive world. Honda just introduced one that has a torque converter in it. A DSG in a tractor would be cutting edge. If all the problems are worked out, I think it will be a good gearbox.

I was unaware of the T7 powershift issues. I remember Ford had alot of issues with their first powershifts. The one in the 8030 series and the 16x16 in the 40 series. In our area, we typically don't have many tractors above the 100 hp area. If they are larger, then they are John Deeres; most of the commercial farmers run JDs.

NH is still popular in this area, because it is riding on the popularity of Ford. Alot of the farmers, my grandfather included, still think the tractors are Ford designed. Many of them are wary of Zetor , b/c of its old reputation. Buying a Zetor is seen as taking a risk, similar to buying a Belarus.

NH is still popular in this area, because it is riding on the popularity of Ford. Alot of the farmers, my grandfather included, still think the tractors are Ford designed. Many of them are wary of Zetor , b/c of its old reputation. Buying a Zetor is seen as taking a risk, similar to buying a Belarus.

Thats exactly the the issue... Loyalty to Ford blue goes so deep that it even helps selling Turkish built, Italian designed tractors... Even when Zetors are generally a better tractor than most CNH offerings....

The only thing with Ford DNA in it is the T6 series, it is loosely based on the 40 series 16x16 powershift. T7 is Fiat 1880/180-90 based, T8 is IHC based.

Also the "old" Zetor reputation... Right now Valtra has a good reputation for durable tractors with a wide range of specifications and options. in the 80s they were a rare bird, a Nordic forestry tractor no good for west european farming. The biggest model they had was a 905, 110hp six pot, and even the Volvo tractors takeover, and using that name Volvo BM Valmet, didnt bring them more customers in western Europe. But since Agco put money in it, they are seen as a premium brand, the Mercedes among tractors, where Fendt is the BMW. (you buy a Mercedes for yourself, because you want the product, while you buy a BMW for others, because you want to be envied)

I have read about customers had alot of issues with the T4 series, which are Turkish built. I think the T5 are Italian built, but I am not 100% sure.

I rather like the new McCormick X tractors. They are all built in Italy. McCormick is not too popular here in the U.S., but I think they will grow in popularity.

What is better in Proxima than NH TD?

NH TD has a rear axle similar to my 3011. The Proxima has a 5 ton rear axle. They just cannot be compared...

The same goes for a Major versus a Proxima: The Major has a 3 ton rear axle and is very light built. I dont think it will stay apiece when you use it to pull a 10 ton dumptrailer or 10m3 manure tank which we used to rent, pulled by our 5245. The major will pull it much easier because of the powerful engine, but the 5245 doesnt break with this load...

Zetor registered the trade mark Zetor Super at the same time as they registered the trade mark Zetor Crystal. We can expect an economy tractor with the same strength as the previous Major (6340 type of tractor, just in the 80-100hp power range) probably within a year. It will compete on the Polish market with the Ursus C-392 and C-3102

New McCormick have nothing common with their old line (Case Maxxum from German Neuss). Argo Group sold their transmission factory in France with Maxxum line to chinese YTO. McCormick X7 has ZF transmission and rear axle. I don't know about X6, is there something from old CX range. I think that it has the same transmission and rear axle as X5. X5M the successor of C-MAX and lower series are Landini design.

I have read about customers had alot of issues with the T4 series, which are Turkish built. I think the T5 are Italian built, but I am not 100% sure.

perhaps the T4 is the old TD-D series, and the current T5 is the basic version of the T6, with the original 78mm Ford 5000 rear axle carried over to subsequently the 10 series, 40 series and TS series. The T6 series have been upgraded to a 92mm rear axle similar to the one of the old TW series.

I was delivering a manure spreader at someone 2 years ago, who had a New Hoilland TD for the wives horses. The rear axle this 75hp tractor had, was laughable, quite comparable to my 3011.... The successor of the 3011/3511 was the 4712, it used the same parts in the gearbox but a quite stronger rear axle.

New McCormick have nothing common with their old line (Case Maxxum from German Neuss). Argo Group sold their transmission factory in France with Maxxum line to chinese YTO. McCormick X7 has ZF transmission and rear axle.

Yes indeed. The old Case MX135 had a 80mm rear axle, the MX150 had a 92mm rear axle. McCormick used the 80mm rear axle of the 135 in the MTX155, they were just trying to cheapen things up. Also their 8 speed modification of the original Maxxum 4 speed powershift was a disaster, they couldnt get the shift logics right and the tractors were also prone to electronic failure. In the end, nobody wanted this gearbox anymore so they sold the St.Dizier plant in France that made them.....

I know that the old IHC rear end found on the CX is gone. I think the transmission has been kept, though. The rear end from the X60 and new X6 series looks nothing like the original CX series. I read somewhere that the new rear end was more efficient. The new McCormick X4 series has 6 models. The smaller 3 models have the 2.9L Deutz engine found in the new Major. The new Major 60 compares to the X4.20 and the 80 to the X4.40. They have a 12 x 12 transmission (mechanical or power shuttle) with the option of having a 2 speed powershift for a total of 24 x 24 gears. The literature says that the transmission is McCormick developed. The X4 axles don't look like the Carraro one on the Major. I'm not sure if McCormick builds them or not. The X5 has a 3.4 L Perkins engine; Fiat actually builds that engine for Perkins. It is the same engine in the NH T4 and T5 series. The X6 and X7 have what the literature calls "Betapower" engines. I think they are Cummins engines, but not sure. I read somewhere that McCormick plans to introduce a X8 series that is in the 200-300 hp range.

The NH TD-D series is very light built for the class; but like the Major, it is not intended for heavy duty use. It is best suited for what I call "weekend farming." Not that there is anything wrong with "weekend farming." My grandfather use to farm commercially, but he retired. My dad has a job, b/c it pays more than farming and provides a more steady income. He still manages to farm some though.

T5 is successor of T5000 Fiat 94 series design. It uses two types of rear axles - standard-duty flange axle and heavy duty flange axle for R38 tyres standard with electrocommand version.

Betapower now used by McCormick is Fiat-Iveco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back